Reflection: Decisions, Process & Research-12/7

In order to narrow my thesis, I had to think deeper about the experiences of LGBT folk in the years following West Side Story’s premiere. I had to consider what real-life events the writers were trying to portray, and how they were using the characters to subtly create this narrative.

I researched the writers (Bernstein and Sondheim) and their backgrounds, finding out that they’re both gay. Then, I researched what New York City was like for the LGBT community in 1957 and the following years.  I researched significant events that happened regarding the LGBT community, and what it was like to be gay in those years.

My original thesis was all about race and feminism. However, I soon realized there was something bigger in the gender and sexuality part of the story, and chose to focus on that. I chose to base my thesis on both the story itself, and the creative team and choices.

Throughout the process, I had to make some heavy decisions. I had to decide on whether to connect my experience as a Puerto Rican woman, or as an LGBT ally.  To come to my conclusions, I picked the option I felt was more creative and powerful, and not so overdone.